Electric Leaf Blower Program
The Town of Atherton is offering a $250 rebate for residents who purchase an electric leaf blower and any associated batteries and chargers.
Why Electric Leaf Blowers
Electric leaf blowers have many advantages over gas-powered equipment, including:
- Quiet: Electric leaf blowers produce much less noise than gas-powered ones, which can reach up to 100 decibels and cause hearing damage, stress, and neighborhood disturbance.
- Clean: Electric leaf blowers emit zero emissions, unlike gas-powered ones, which release harmful pollutants such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and volatile organic compounds. These pollutants can worsen air quality, climate change, and respiratory problems.
- Convenient: Electric leaf blowers are lighter, more compact, and more convenient than gas-powered ones. You don't have to worry about refilling gas tanks, changing oil filters, or maintaining engines. You just need to charge the battery and go.
How to Get the Rebate?
1. Purchase an electric leaf blower and any associated battery and charger from any retailer of your choice. You can choose any brand or model that suits your needs and budget.
2. Fill out the rebate application form online or download a printable version You will need to provide proof of purchase and residency in Atherton.
- Proof of purchase: A copy of your receipt – if the total cost is less than $250, you will be reimbursed just for the cost of the equipment.
- Proof of residency: A copy of a photo identification with Atherton address by email or you may come in and show your ID card during business hours (Monday through Friday – 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM). If you do not have an ID with an Atherton address, please contact Management Analyst II, Rachael Londer, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 650-752-0577. Copies of IDs will not be retained and will only be used to verify Atherton addresses.
Town of Atherton
80 Fair Oaks Lane
Atherton, CA 94027
This rebate program is available until funds are exhausted on a first-come, first-serve basis. Households are permitted one rebate per fiscal year (July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2024). As of December 21, 2023, 35 rebates have been distributed out of the 100 available.
Don't miss this opportunity to switch to a cleaner, quieter, and easier way of maintaining your yard. Apply for the rebate today and enjoy the benefits of your new electric leaf blower!
Town of Atherton Leaf Blower Regulations
The Town of Atherton Municipal Code Chapter 8.16 Noise Control regulates the use of leaf blowers to minimize noise and air pollution. View the current code here: https://atherton.municipal.codes/Code/8.16.050.
Starting July 1, 2024, the Town of Atherton's Municipal Code Chapter 8.16 will be amended to ban the use of gas leaf blowers in the Town and limit the use and time of other gas-powered equipment. This is in alignment with the State’s legislation to ban the sale of gas-powered small off-road equipment. For background on the Council's decision, please see the Staff Report from the April 19, 2023, City Council here.
California offers a separate program to help landscapers and small businesses with this change. Visit the CORE program website for information for landscapers and other professionals: https://californiacore.org/
For more information and training on electric landscaping tools, watch the recording of a workshop held in the Town in partnership with the American Green Zone Alliance here.