City Manager's Blog

The City Manager's Blog is an online educational tool to provide general information to the community in open communication style. Periodically, the City Manager will post articles of general interest covering topics such as the Town's budget, budget process, capital projects, upcoming meetings, community issues, public safety, and general Town operations.

Articles in the blog are not designed as press releases or Town publications, rather, they are written in more of a conversational style. The Blog does not have a comments feature but readers are free to respond to the Blog and its entries view email directly to the City Manager.

View All Posts

Jun 10

May 2016 City Manager's Monthly Report

Posted on June 10, 2016 at 10:48 AM by grodericks grodericks

City Manager's Monthly Report - May 2016

Monthly-report.pngWelcome to the City Manager's Monthly Report Blog! 

The City Manager's Monthly Report Blog is a consolidation of issues, communications, and Town activity during the prior month that have been reported to the City Council as part of their weekly email from the City Manager. Sometimes information is duplicated over the course of several emails to the City Council to ensure that it is reviewed.

As I review the information to include in the Monthly Report, to the extent possible, I remove duplicate updates in favor of the most recent - although some will be duplicative if there is other relevant information included; I try to remove information regarding events that have already occurred; and I edit information that requires update - hopefully to make it more useful. Overall, the information is generally the same as it was presented to the City Council in their weekly Council email.

The Report reads with the most recent first. As always, if you have any questions or comments regarding the Monthly Report, please feel free to contact me via email or phone.

My weekly email typically goes out every Friday. 


George Rodericks
City Manager
Town of Atherton
(650) 752-0504

May 27 Weekly Report to Council

1. Quiet Zone

Staff issued the Notice of Establishment (linked here) on May 23. The Quiet Zone is effective on June 13. Signs will be erected on the tracks to advise of the Quiet Zone. Caltrain and all user parties have been formally notified of the establishment and its effective date. 

2. Budget Calendar for FY 2016/17 Budget 

The next meeting on the Budget is the Study Session on June 1. At this meeting, the Council will have the opportunity to do any final Q&A on the operations budget and CIP; staff will also present the Special Revenue Funds. The second item on the Agenda is the Special Parcel Tax. Staff will present a recommendation on establishment of the Parcel Tax for FY 2016/17. I also have a brief closed session scheduled for the end of the meeting. The budget calendar remains as follows:
  • Public Meeting #1 - April 6, 2016 - City Council Study Session (Joint Meeting with the Finance Committee) 
  • Public Meeting #2 - May 4, 2016 - City Council Study Session (Joint Meeting with the Finance Committee)
    • Presentation of the Operations Budget
  • Public Meeting #3 - Finance Committee Meeting (May 10 2016)
    • Review of Capital Improvement Budget
  • Public Meeting #4 - May 18, 2016 - City Council Regular Meeting
    • Presentation of the Capital Improvement Budget
  • Public Meeting #5 - June 1, 2016 - City Council Study Session
    • Final Review of Entire Budget to include Special Revenue and Other Funds
    • Review of the Parcel Tax for FY 2016/17
  • Public Meeting #6 - June 15, 2016 - City Council Regular Meeting
    • Public Hearing and Adoption of Budget
    • Adoption of the Parcel Tax for FY 2016/17
3. Marsh Road Project - Work Begins on May 31

Work begins on the Marsh Road Project on May 31. Signs have been erected, reader boards are out, detour signs are bagged and will be uncovered next week. Placards have been distributed. (UPDATE: Underway now).

We received a call last week from a groom who is getting married on August 6 in the backyard of a home that backs to the channel. Our contractor has agreed to a short work day that day, ending work at 2:30 pm to accommodate the 3 pm ceremony. 

4. Team-Building/Goals Update - Feedback Please

The Mayor and I met with Nancy Hetrick, Management Partners, to discuss the objectives for a Council/Staff workshop on team-building. We are looking for a date during mid-August (week of August 15). Please advise as to your availability that week. We are dark for Council Meetings that month so the workshop should be the only meeting scheduled (absent emergency).

5. Arts Foundation Open House

The Atherton Arts Foundation is hosting an artist Open House for the resident artist at Town Hall on Thursday, June 9 from 4:30 pm to 6 pm. Please plan to attend this excellent opportunity to engage in community. 

6. Funding Requests in the 2016/17 Budget 

HIP Housing has made their annual request for grant of $2,500. This is an annual grant program request that the Town has fulfilled as an obligation under our Housing Element. They have produced an Atherton Report which I will share with the Council via email early next week. The request will be a part of the 2016/17 Operations Budget for approval in June. Linked here is their information. 

JVSV also made their 2016/17 Request. It will be part of the Operations Budget for approval in June. Linked here is their presented information. 

7. HAWK Beacon Project

On May 18 Caltrans finally authorized work on the ECR HAWK Beacon at Almendral. The authorization came after a strongly worded email from the Town regarding continued delay and the public safety urgency. We are securing a work schedule from the contractor. (UPDATE: Underway now)

8. Atherton Fiber

Michell Malko (Rutan & Tucker) is finalizing a draft agreement to send to the Town. Since we do not yet have any definable information from AF as to whether they have achieved any status from the PUC (DIVCA or Telecom), she is proceeding with information that we and AF have provided thus far. Initial thoughts are that the agreement would be an omnibus encroachment agreement with requirements into the future with respect to product delivery and vendors. As I have mentioned, there are two other firms working in Town that have DIVCA or other franchise operations. These firms are upgrading their systems to fiber. We are verifying their status with the State.

9. Tri-City Mayors/Manager’s Meeting

Setting up a tri-cities Mayor/Manager’s Meeting is proving challenging and Menlo Park has been unable to secure a workable date over the last couple of months. The meeting has been postponed until after the summer and school break.

10. State Drought Regulations - From CalWater

In response to Governor Brown’s Executive Order B-37-16, which is aimed at making water conservation a way of life in California, the State Water Resources Control Board has adopted revised regulations related to urban water conservation.  The revised regulations contain two essential elements.

First, the regulations retain each of the existing prohibitions on certain uses of potable water, including the “irrigation with potable water of ornamental turf on public street medians.”

Second, and more significantly, the revised regulations are designed to move away from conservation standards crafted by the State and toward conservation targets set by water suppliers based upon local water supply conditions.  Specifically, the revised regulations allow water suppliers to forecast demand based upon average water usage in 2013 and 2014, and compare that demand to projected available supplies for the next three years, assuming a continuation of drought conditions. The new conservation targets will be the difference between the two in the third year. For example, if a water supplier projects demand of 100 acre-feet of water, but available supply of only 90 acre-feet of water, it would take the difference, 10 acre-feet, which is a 10% shortfall, and that would be the water-use reduction target.

Cal Water believes that there are serious drought conditions in many parts of the state, and they continue to encourage and support customers’ efforts to use water efficiently through their water conservation program.  Similarly, they continue to ask customers to reduce their water use by at least 8% as compared to their same-month usage in 2013, with final conservation targets dependent on a number of factors, including local water supply conditions. 

In light of ongoing drought conditions and the fact that the Board will be required to propose new long-term water conservation regulations in early 2017, CalWater does not think it would be prudent to give back all of the conservation gains achieved over the last year.  As a point of reference, the conservation programs implemented in the Bear Gulch service area will save about 385,556,756 gallons of water over their lifetime, and they have helped customers achieve a 36% reduction in water use between June and December 2015, as compared to the same time period in 2013.

However, given the Board’s formula for setting new conservation targets, it is likely that CalWater will suspend drought surcharges in most, if not all, service areas.  As a reminder, individualized monthly water budgets were established for each customer in 2015 based on the conservation requirements set by the Board, and there are currently surcharges associated with exceeding those water budgets.  Based on the Board’s new regulations, monthly water budgets would become conservation targets without any associated surcharges.  Ultimately, the decision to suspend surcharges will turn on the analysis of local supply conditions, which must be submitted to the Board by June 22.

Given the impact that the Governor’s Executive Order and the Board’s revised regulations will have on customers, written input on proposed adjustments to the Drought Response Plan are welcomed.  In light of the short timeframe established by the Board, input should be provided by the close of business on Wednesday, June 8, 2016.  Your comments should be sent electronically to

11. Rezoning of Holbrook Lane

A property owner on Holbrook Lane (56 Holbrook Lane) is trying to decide whether to expand their lot or sell. The current zoning of Holbrook Lane is R-1. The property owner would like to rezone their property to R1-B which would allow another 800 feet or so of expansion. There is a process for rezoning (Planning Commission/City Council). Because we cannot “spot zone,” we would need to evaluate a rezoning request on a larger scale. The entire process would take 4 to 6 months and would involve several public hearings and a change to the General Plan Land Use. The property owner has reached out to their neighbors and have a 60% support possibility. 

Staff is working with the property owner(s) through the process. 

12. PG&E Light Conversion

PG&E has advised that they are planning to convert 229 PG&E owned street lights in Atherton to LEDs. We are working with PG&E to define the parameters of their program linked here:

If it works out, they would begin work this summer. We would get the GHG credits for the upgrades. 
13. Little League Field Issue

We are working through a landscape/sprinkler issue with the Little League Field and M-ALL. 

14. Cartan Field

The School has asked what is necessary to re-start the Cartan Field Project. All that is needed is a deposit made to pay for the Lamphier-Gregory work and any Town costs. We would also need a letter requesting the Town to move forward with the EIR. The School and College continue to work through a few issues. 

15. PCE Cost at 100% Renewable

At the last Board Meeting, it was reported by the PCE CEO, Jan Pepper, that the 100% renewable options via Peninsula Clean Energy would cost about 2.5-4% more than PG&E. 

16. Scoping Letter - HSR EIR/EIS

Staff and the Rail Committee are working on a comment letter to the HSR EIR/EIS Notice of Intent. We hope to have a final letter available for review at the July 7 Rail Committee Meeting. 

17. Planning Commission Special Study Session - May 25

The Planning Commission took the following action(s) at their May 25 Special Meeting: 

- Discussed the existing sidewall and indwell regulations and the resulting impact on contemporary home design. Several architects were present at the meeting to provide their input. Commissioners provided direction to staff to further study the issue and come back with options for the Commission’s consideration. 
- Reviewed the Draft CIP for 2016/17 - 2020/211 and made a determination that the CIP is consistent with the Town’s General Plan (required). 

18. C/CAG Water Committee Agenda/Packet - June 1 Meeting

19. Cartan Field Neighbors

I sent the neighbors of Cartan Field the Special Events Permit list below to advise them of activity over the next few months. 

20. Civic Center Project 

We are setting up meetings over the next few weeks with WRNS to begin the interior floor planning and address the issues raised by the Council. The CCAC’s Project Management Team (Merredew, Dostart, & Hau) will be invited to participate - as will the City Council Subcommittee members for the CCAC. These are staff driven meetings so while all will be invited, all may not be able to participate. Nevertheless, the project will continue to move forward. Meetings/input involving public spaces (Chambers, Landscaping, Lobby, etc.) will move forward as well - through the CCAC Public Meetings. 

At the Town & Gown meeting you may have heard the Mayor quote a budget/cost for the project of roughly $43.1 million. This number was arrived at by capping the $25 million Atherton Now contribution, adding in the Library at $15.4 million, and $2.7 million in Building Funds.  I provided her with that figure based on the Council’s establishment of the assumed maximum donation from Atherton Now. 

Special Event Permits Authorized as of May 27, 2016

This is a list of the upcoming Special Event Permits approved or under review.
  • May
    • May 1 - 16th Annual Big Bear Run (7:30 am - 12 pm)
    • May 21 - Menlo College Children’s Champions (10 am - 1 pm)
    • May 21 - ECR Cancer Benefit - Circus Club (6 pm - 11 pm)
    • May 25 - HRC Visit - 87 Patricia (5 pm to 7 pm)
    • May 30 - Memorial Day BBQ - Circus Club (5 pm - 9 pm)
  • June
    • June 3 - NASDAQ Summer Concert - Menlo College (TBD)
    • June 10 - NASDAQ Summer Concert - Menlo College (TBD)
    • June 11 - Polo Match - Circus Club (10 am - 7 pm)
    • June 18 - Polo Match - Circus Club (10 am - 7 pm)
    • June 17 - Company Picnic - Menlo College (11 am - 3:30 pm)
    • June 18 - Company Picnic - Menlo College (11 am - 6 pm)
    • June 19 - Father’s Day BBQ - Circus Club (5 pm - 9 pm)
    • June 24 - NASDAQ Summer Concert - Menlo College (TBD)
  • July
    • July 4 - 4th of July BBQ - Circus Club (4 pm - 9 pm)
    • July 9 - Polo Match - Circus Club (10 am - 7 pm)
    • July 9 - Bike for Breath - Encinal Elementary School/Streets (4:30 am - 2 pm)
    • June 15 - NASDAQ Summer Concert - Menlo College (TBD)
    • July 16 - Polo Match - Circus Club (10 am - 7 pm)
    • July 19 - Music @ Menlo - MA High School (8 pm - 10:30 pm)
    • July 20 - Music @ Menlo - MA High School (8 pm - 10:30 pm)
    • July 22 - Music @ Menlo - MA High School (8 pm - 10:30 pm)
    • July 27 - Music @ Menlo - MA High School (8 pm - 10:30 pm)
    • July 29 - Music @ Menlo - MA High School (8 pm - 10:30 pm)
  • August
    • August 2 - Music @ Menlo - MA High School (8 pm - 10:30 pm)
    • August 3 - Music @ Menlo - MA High School (8 pm - 10:30 pm)
    • August 4 - Music @ Menlo - MA High School (8 pm - 10:30 pm)
    • August 8-14 - Horse Show - Requires separate Permit
    • August 13 - Bark For Life - HPP (10:30 am - 1:30 pm)
  • September 
    • September 3 - Polo Match - Circus Club (10 am - 7 pm)
    • September 5 - Labor Day BBQ - Circus Club (5 pm - 9 pm)
    • September 10 - Polo Match - Circus Club (10 am - 7 pm)
  • October
    • October 7 - SHS Under the Lights (4:30 pm - 9:30 pm)
    • October 27 - Halloween Party - Circus Club (7 pm - 9 pm)

May 20 Weekly Report to Council

1. Menlo Atherton High School Work

A complaint was filed regarding early morning work at the High School. Matt Zito responded with apologies for an unscheduled early delivery of materials. Matt advised that it would not occur again. 

2. Peninsula Clean Energy - Feedback Requested - FEEDBACK PLEASE

Under the Peninsula Clean Energy program, the current plan is for all rate payers (residential, commercial and municipal accounts) to be automatically enrolled into a standard default energy product, which will include at least 50% renewable energy, unless they “opt-up” to the 100% renewable energy level or “opt out” and use PG&E’s standard power offering. It is anticipated that the 50% renewable energy default product will be slightly less expensive than PG&E’s current offering, while the 100% renewable energy product will cost slightly more than PG&E’s current offering.
However, a few member cities have expressed interest in potentially automatically enrolling all of their rate payers into the 100% renewable energy product unless they “opt-down” to the 50% renewable energy level or opt out and use PG&E’s standard power offering.  The benefit of an agency selecting this approach is that it would maximize CO2 reduction from electric power use.  However, it would require a city to be willing to enroll its ratepayers into a more expensive energy product without their prior approval, though ratepayers could elect to opt-down at any time to the lower priced 50% clean energy product.
The Town of Portola Valley is considering enrolling all of its ratepayers at the 100% renewable energy level. PCE has asked that other agencies provide their feedback as to their interest in considering this approach. For cities who may be interested in the 100% renewable default option, please note the following considerations:
- Customers in cities that elect this option will be enrolled in Phase 2 (starting in April 2017) as opposed to Phase 1 (starting in October 2016).

- Customers in cities that elect this option will be enrolled at a price premium, currently estimated at $0.01/kWh which translates into the following average monthly cost premiums compared to the PCE 50% renewable product: 
  • $5.00/month for the average sized residential home
  • $15 – $40/month for the average small commercial customer
  • $200/month for the average medium commercial customer
  • $500 – $1,500/month for the average large commercial customer
  • $6,000/month for the average industrial customer 
- To elect this approach, cities will be required to pass a resolution by October 1, 2016.

PCE is asking for feedback on our interest by May 25. Please let me know your thoughts. My experience with MCE is that one agency (Fairfax) thought about doing the same and ultimately decided that forcing 100% or dark green on their residents was not the best option with a new program that was already a concern to some. The fear was that there would be a larger opt-out entirely if they pushed everyone to dark green versus the light green enrollment with opt-up to dark green. It was purely anticipatory and not supported by actual evidence that that would occur. They ultimately decided that light green enrollment for the community, dark green enrollment for the agency, with education about the options was the best solution. Belvedere also opted for dark green enrollment for the City and light green for the residents.  

3. Mayor’s & Council Members Executive Forum (Monterey - June 22/23)

The Mayor’s & Council Members Executive Forum is set for Wednesday, June 22 to Thursday, June 23 - one overnight in Monterey. There is also an opportunity for a focus workshop to follow on June 24. If you are interested in attending please let Theresa know. I will be attending. 

4. Fire District Nexus Fee Study

The City Attorney and Fire District Counsel have worked through the issues of the Fire District Nexus Fee Study. The District has provided an indemnification agreement that will be reviewed by the City Attorney. Once that is in acceptable form, we will be moving the project forward. Preliminarily, the City Attorney will present the Council with a few options for consideration. We are still working on these details. However, some have asked exactly what the fee’s purpose. The fee is beyond basic tax receipts to the District and is to provide a funding source of the District to address new development and the “intensification” of land uses within the District’s boundaries. The fee is based upon specific future capital improvement costs that are allocated to new development based on an apportionment standard. The total cost of the District CIP from 2015 to 2035 is $82m. Via the Nexus Study completed by the District, the District determined that the share of costs attributable to new development is 15% or $12m. This is for new apparatus and relocation, expansion, remodeling or new construction of fire stations. The fee would be levied on new residential and non-residential development in the District’s boundaries. Since the Town would be adopting the Nexus Study and imposing the fee, the Town would collect the fee and remit to the District. The District does not have the authority to do so on its own. 

When calculating the revenue collection estimates over the 20 period, the District used population and employment estimates from ABAG Projections 2013. These statistics indicated that Atherton’s projected population growth is 8.5% and employment growth is 12.8%. Here is a link to the details of the Study. 

5. Technical Memorandum - ECR/Alejandra Study

As the Council is aware, I had staff complete Technical Memorandum for our own files evaluating level of service and traffic operations on Alejandra and El Camino. Linked here is that Study by the Traffic Engineer

6. Animal Shelter Services Report for April 2016

May 14 Weekly Report to Council

1. M-A Little League

We will setting up the annual meeting with M-ALL to discuss field use (positive/negative) for the year and ways to work out any issues. M-ALL has approached staff with the thought of an All Star Tournament in 2017 at the Park. We have encouraged them to put this request in writing with details - start/end, games per day, snack bar needs, PA needs, attendance, etc.). Once received, I will discuss with each of you before considering for approval. ETA - July. 

2. Emergency Exercise - Operation Community Shield

On Wednesday I attended a disaster preparedness exercise hosted by San Mateo County and various public safety agencies as an observer. The exercise demonstrated a terrorist interdiction, rescue, and decontamination. 

3. ABAG General Assembly

The ABAG General Assembly is having a Special Meeting on Thursday, May 19 from 12 pm to 3 pm. The Agenda for the meeting is available here  The Mayor has RSVP’d for the meeting as the Town’s delegate. Council Member Wiest is the Town’s alternate to ABAG. 

Linked here is a Staff Report to ABAG regarding the merger with MTC. MTCs planning grant to ABAG terminates on July 1 unless ABAG and MTC adopt a merger implementation plan (MIP). The staff report notes two recommendations concerning adoption of a MIP to either 1) provide for simultaneous governance and organizational/staff merger; or 2) organizational/staff merger first with a commitment to engage in a governance merger process by a date certain. If ABAG and MTC cannot agree on a MIP, funding ceases July 1 and ABAG will not be able to sustain itself as an ongoing agency. 

4. High Speed Rail - Notice of Preparation for the San Francisco to San Jose Project Section

Linked here is the Notice of Preparation (NOP) for the San Francisco to San Jose Section Environmental Impact Report  The NOP was filed with the State Clearinghouse on May 9. The Scoping period ends on June 10. There are public scoping meetings set for May 23, 24, & 25. Staff may participate in one or more of the scoping meetings and separate stakeholder meetings.

5. Civic Center Project Update

We produced the linked Civic Center Project Update Summary and intend for this update to be released via News Flash and other Town outlets on a regular basis. The first edition is rather long as it is comprehensive, but updates should be shorter. 

The staff report for the May 18 Agenda is asking for a couple of things from the Council: 1) Approve the Schematic Design and move the project through to the next phase of design - Design Development. WRNS Studio has provided all deliverables for the Schematic Design Phase and needs to move onto the Design Development Phase to continue work. and 2) Accept the Cost Estimate.

Mack5 produced the most recent cost estimate based on the Schematic Design. As the Council is aware, there were a few changes made to the site and buildings moving from Conceptual to Schematic. These changes resulted in the addition of some square footage to the buildings. There were no program increases - only square footage adjustments to accommodate building loads, entries, adjacencies, corridors, exits, stairwells, elevator, public spaces, mechanical rooms and other areas. There may well be other refinements, up or down, during the Design Development Phase. None of these changes would be significant. The cost estimate increased by $3.6 million. With the adjustments, the proportionate shares based on square footage and attributable site improvements were refined. The cost estimate reduced some of the contingency amounts from the Conceptual cost estimate and refined costs that were pre and post construction that are General Fund expenses. Further, the proportionate share for the Building Capital allocation increased resulting in a need to allocate additional revenues to the Building Capital Fund (approximately $700,000). Staff will return with a separate action for this. 

Overall, these changes, while increasing the cost of the project itself actually reduced the fundraising need by approximately $500,000. In the Project Summary Report linked above, there is table that reflects the funding status for the project. This was produced using the 2015 Cost Estimate. Updated, the information looks as follows:
  • Total Project Cost (5/2016) - $46,500,000
  • Library Funds Allocated - $15,400,000
  • Building Capital Funds Allocated - $2,800,000
  • Pre/Post Funds Allocated - $1,500,000
  • Remaining Needed - $26,800,000
  • Funding To Date - ($5,499,377)
  • Remaining Need - $21,300,623
  • % of Total Project Funded - 54.2%

6. CalWater Update - Governor’s Executive Order

On Monday, May 9, Governor Brown issued an Executive Order (E.O.) adjusting and extending the State’s Emergency Drought Regulations through January 2017. While the E.O. recognizes that water supply conditions differ across California, due to differences in climate, snowfall, and rainfall, it also directs the State Water Resources Control Board (Board) to take certain actions.  For instance, the E.O. directs the Board to permanently prohibit practices that “waste potable water,” including:
• Irrigating ornamental turf on public street medians;
• Hosing off sidewalks, driveways, and other hardscapes;
• Washing automobiles with hoses not equipped with a shut-off nozzle;
• Using non-recirculated water in a fountain or other decorative water feature; and
• Watering lawns in a manner that causes runoff, or within 48 hours after measurable precipitation.
These specific prohibitions have been in place since early 2015, but will now become permanent.
The E.O. also directs the Department of Water Resources to work with the Board to “develop new water use targets as part of a permanent framework for urban water agencies.”   These new targets will build upon a law enacted in 2009 that requires water agencies to achieve a 20% reduction in potable water use by 2020 (California Water Code §§ 10608.16-10608.44).
In response to the Governor’s E.O., the Board has released proposed amendments to its current Emergency Drought Regulations.  Of note, the draft regulations recognize that water conditions differ across the State.  CalWater is still reviewing the Governor’s E.O. and Board’s draft regulations to determine how they will impact customers.  Here are links to the Governor’s E.O. (, a draft of the proposed regulations (, and the Board’s fact sheet ( 

7. Planning Commission Special Meeting - May 25

The Planning Commission has scheduled a Study Session for Wednesday, May 25 at 6 pm to discuss the current zoning code sidewall and indwell height requirements and how it impacts the design of contemporary style homes. 

8. Grand Boulevard Meeting - March 30 Follow-up

Linked here is a memorandum on the GBI Task Force meeting of March 30

9. California Primary - Pre-Primary Events

With the California primary next month, there will undoubtedly be political events that occur between now and then involving the primary candidates. The Police Department is working regionally to be prepared for this eventuality. 

Candidate Clinton is scheduled to be in Town on May 25. 

10. Use of Drones

The City Attorney’s Office has prepared a memorandum on the state of the law with respect to drones. This has been scheduled for the July Study Session. 

May 6 Weekly Report to Council

1. PAEC Grant through the California Energy Commission

As the Council is aware, we had discussed an award of approximately $80,000 to assist with the technical and economic feasibility of incorporating sustainability features (beyond code requirements) into the new Civic Center. These were tasks the Town was undertaking anyway as part of the Civic Center Project. However, during the exchange of information, despite the Towns letter and Council action to the contrary, PAEC did not include the Towninformation in the grant application. An attempt was made by PAEC to contact former Town contact Joe Horewedel, however, with Joes passing, the connection was never made. Now, after reconnecting, PAEC was able to cobble together funds from other grantees to allow the Town’s participation in Phase I at $40,000. The Town remains eligible for Phase II awards up to $800,000 - primarily targeting photovoltaic. 

There remains a timing issue matching the PAEC Phase II grants with the timing of the actual Civic Center Project construction. We discussed this with PAEC and the only solution to the timing is to delay the actual installation of PV until the grant award can be made but plan for its installation during the project.

2. Piwik Web Traffic

Linked here is the April 2016 Website Report

3. HP Park Revenue and Activity Logs

Linked here are the April HP Park Activity Log and the Park Revenue Log  At the last meeting a question arose as to how the Park is doing from an event revenue perspective and are we booking up for the summer months. The Revenue Log is a good indicator of trends. The busy months are typically April through October. You can see the history of revenue for the past fiscal year. There was also some discussion of Park revenue versus Tennis revenue and how they are tracked for a good indicator of Park profit/loss. Tennis Revenue is deposited into a separate Tennis Fund. Revenue from Park events and activities, other than Tennis, are deposited into the Town’s General Fund. Expenses related to Tennis are paid from the Tennis Fund. The bulk of Park expenditures are paid by the Town’s General Fund or Capital Improvement Fund. We track revenues separately and are able to develop a singular profit and loss statement but they are not deposited into separate singular accounts. They are tracked by line item - social fees, meeting fees, class fees, wedding fees, park day use fees, etc. Total Park Revenues, excluding Tennis, were budgeted at $152,299 for FY 2015/16. At the February 2016 Council Meeting it was noted that we adjusted Park Revenues to $192,392 given the projections for activities and events at the Park. However, as shown on the Revenue Log, Revenues as of April 2016 are $108,052 with two significant months remaining in the Fiscal Year. However, we may not reach the mid-year projection of $192k. The contract with Catering by Dana is a percentage of revenues so the expenditure side of the budget will decrease accordingly. 

4. CPUC Letter/Comments - Quiet Zone

Linked here is our first response from the Notice of Intent. The consultant will be responding to the letter from the CPUC  A copy of the letter has been provided to Nerissa Dexter and Stephanie Anzia who are assisting the Town along with the consultant in the process. Once the consultant has had an opportunity to review the comments, we will provide a response. 

5. CCAC Scope Moving Forward

During this mid-phase (Schematic to Design Development), the CCAC took the opportunity at the last meeting to talk through their scope and role in an effort to fine tune it moving forward with the project. Linked here is the Scope Going Forward document produced from the last meeting.