On October 19, 2023, at 10:19 a.m., all residents of the Town of Atherton are invited to join more than 17 million individuals nationwide in the 2023 Great ShakeOut!
The Great ShakeOut is an earthquake drill that provides an opportunity for communities and our residents to practice how to stay safe during earthquakes and apply the protective action: "Drop, Cover and Hold On!"
• If you are in a building, move no more than a few steps. Drop to the ground. Take cover under a sturdy table or desk and hold on until the shaking stops.
• If in a vehicle, pull over, stop, and set the parking brake. Stay inside the vehicle until the shaking stops.
• If you can participate in this important exercise, at 10:19 a.m., you will drop, cover, and hold on for one minute. Then, at 10:20 a.m., you should evacuate to a location of safety outside. If you are not able to participate in the exercise, please remember that after a real earthquake, you would evacuate when the shaking stops.
It is recommended that everyone in Atherton think about how to prepare for an earthquake – both at work and at home. Some activities include:
• Review and update emergency preparedness plans and supplies.
• At home, ensure that your and your family are equipped and prepared to be on your own without the assistance of emergency first responders.
• Secure any furnishings, fixtures, and items in your space to prevent damage and injuries (bookshelves, filing cabinets, computer monitors, etc.). This is especially important since many of us work remotely, so don't forget to check your remote location for hazards.
For more information, please visit www.ShakeOut.org for information about how you can prepare yourself and your family for the next seismic event.
Steven D McCulley
Chief of Police