The Atherton Police Department hopes that you are having a fun and safe summer vacation. As the 4th of July holiday is rapidly approaching, we would like to remind all of our residents that fireworks are illegal in the Town of Atherton. We will be enforcing the prohibition on fireworks. "Safe and sane" fireworks are not allowed. We will gladly collect any fireworks and have made arrangements with the Menlo Park Fire Protection District for their safe disposal.
Safety on the July 4th Holiday
- July 4th is the second-most-deadly holiday period of the year – just behind New Year’s – due to impaired driving. Drunk driving is a serious crime. If you're caught, we'll place you under arrest. No exceptions. No excuses.
- Much of the tragedy that comes from impaired-driving related crashes could be prevented if everyone would take a few simple precautions before going out to party this Fourth of July.
Always follow these tips for a safer July 4th celebration:
- Whenever you plan on using alcohol, designate your sober driver before going out and give that person your keys;
- If you’re impaired, call a taxi or ride-sharing service, use mass transit or call a sober friend or family member to get you home safely;
- Promptly report drunk drivers you see on the roadways to law enforcement;
- Wearing your safety belt or using protective gear on your motorcycle is your best defense against an impaired driver;
- And remember, Friends Don’t Let Friends Drive Drunk. If you know someone who is about to drive or ride while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.
Below are some family friendly events occurring in San Mateo County for your July 4th Holiday:
If you have any questions, please contact the Atherton Police Department at 650.688.6500.