Since September 28, 2018, the Town of Atherton
has experienced at least 10 residential burglaries. Almost all of theseburglaries have been committed by the suspect(s) breaking a rear window or rear
door window. The most common items stolen appear to be jewelry, watches andpersonal accessories, like purses and backpacks. The Atherton Police Department
is actively working these cases and trying to locate the suspect(s), but wehave very few leads to go on. We need your help with the following:
1) Leave exterior lightson during hours of darkness.
2) Use your alarm system,including motion detectors, when away from your home.
3) Install securitycameras or make sure your current cameras are functioning properly.
4) Lock all doors and windowsat your home.
5) Notify your neighbors,and stop your mail and newspaper, while on vacation.
6) Notify the AthertonPolice Department so that Vacation House Checks can be conducted while on
7) Do not have items
delivered to your home while you are away.
8) Do not let your
whereabouts or vacation plans be known on social media.
Finally, report all suspicious activity to theAtherton Police Department at 650-688-6500, or call 9-1-1 if there is an