Since September 28, 2018, the Town of Atherton has experienced at least 10 residential burglaries. Almost all of the burglaries have been committed by the suspect(s) breaking a rear window or rear door window. The most common items stolen appear to be jewelry, watches, and personal accessories, like purses and backpacks. The Atherton Police Department is actively working these cases and trying to locate the suspect(s), but we have very few leads to go on. We need your help with the following:
- Leave exterior lights on during hours of darkness.
- Use your alarm system, including motion detectors, when away from your home.
- Install security cameras or make sure your current cameras are functioning properly.
- Lock all doors and windows at your home.
- Notify your neighbors, and stop your mail and newspaper, while on vacation.
- Notify the Atherton Police Department so that Vacation House Checks can be conducted while on vacation.
- Do not have items delivered to your home while you are away.
- Do not let your whereabouts or vacation plans be known on social media.
Finally, report all suspicious activity to the Atherton Police Department at 650-688-6500, or call 9-1-1 if there is an emergency.