In the past two days there have been two residential burglaries, both of which occurred between approximately 6pm to 7pm. Evidence shows that the thieves are breaking glass doors/windows in the rear of the house (sometimes climbing up to the second story to make entry into the home).
We believe the burglars are breaking into homes where they think the resident is NOT at home. We believe the burglars arrive in neighborhoods when there is still daylight, and then when it gets dark, they wait to see which homes do not have lights on and appear to be unoccupied.
You can help us prevent residential burglaries by doing the following:
- When you’re not at home, make sure it looks like you are home.
- Lock your doors and windows
- Use your alarm system
- Install a camera system
- Notify the Atherton Police while you are on vacation
- Keep exterior and interior lights on during hours of darkness
- Install motion lights around the exterior of your home
- Become familiar with your neighbors by exchanging contact information and notifying them while you are away.
As always, if you see or hear anything suspicious, please do not hesitate to call the Atherton Police Department. By working together we can try to reduce or eliminate residential burglaries within the Town of Atherton.