Fourth of July Safety Tips and Firework Prohibition Reminder
As you plan for your Fourth of July celebration, take time to prioritize safety, especially when it comes to fireworks and impaired driving.
The Atherton Police Department (APD) would like to remind residents that fireworks of any type are not only dangerous, but also illegal in the Town of Atherton. Fireworks have the potential to cause serious injury or death, and their use can also lead to significant property damage. The APD, in conjunction with the Menlo Park Fire District, will be working to enforce this policy and provide safe disposal options for any illegal fireworks that are found.
In addition to the dangers of fireworks, the Fourth of July holiday is also known for its high incidence of impaired driving. It is the second-most deadly holiday period of the year, just behind New Year's Eve. Drunk driving is a serious crime, and the APD has a zero tolerance approach to enforcement. Anyone caught driving under the influence will be placed under arrest. To help prevent impaired driving and keep everyone safe this holiday, it is important to take a few simple precautions:
- If you plan on consuming alcohol, designate a sober driver before heading out and give that person your keys.
- If you find yourself impaired, use alternative transportation options such as rideshare, public transit or getting a ride from a sober friend or family member.
- Wear a safety belt or using protective gear on your motorcycle for protection against impaired drivers.
- If you see a drunk driver on the roadways, promptly report them to law enforcement.
- Finally, remember “Friends Don’t Let Friends Drive Drunk.” If you know someone who is about to drive or ride while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.